Social Media Chat

The Power of Social Media

We discussed CULTURES OF COLLABORATION: (SM as Enabler) at our weekly SMCHAT WEDS 8/12. We'd love to capture additional thoughts and/or learnings here. Renee has already taken time out to recap some key takeaways below.

Thanks as always for your insights.

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To sum up what went on in the actual chat:

Work towards objecives, understand learning styles, foster open environment, think tools not sm label

"Collaborative innovation" .. working across silo's to improve org/processes, hard but 'worth it' .. need CEO support

Ways to use SM to foster a culture of improved communications and collaboration:

Start internal SM in the 1 group that will deposit + withdraw the most value + make others beg to become a part of it. Make it cool to share.

FInd small crew of "silo straddlers" + start w/ them. Find them by using Gladwell "Connector" theory or "weak ties" theories in social network analysis.

Utilize test and learn strategy: pilot projects, learn and adjust, use early wins to gain management support

"Attempting 1 new thing" should be part of job descrip. + rewarded during reviews whether the thing attempted works or not

SM advocates are the ones in the org who are most passionate about SM regardless of their position.

Bottom line is to get in there and learn by doing, rather than holding training seminars.
I have a couple of favorite sources on driving organization change. These have definitely influenced my thinking over the years on how to influence corporate culture. In the case of Kanter & Goleman, I've read sections of these books more than once. When you can, check out:

Change Masters (R.M.Kanter), chock full of insight on silo's & consensus-building;
Tipping Point (M.Gladwell), strong on role of 'connector'
Primal Leadership (D.Goleman), strong on human relationships & org leadership skills needed
Speed of Trust (S.M.R.Covey), on the psychology of trust & how it effects (among other things) teamwork

Anyone know other good sources on driving organizational culture change? Great discussion today, thanks for participating.
Great recap Renee, thanks for taking time to do this; hopefully folks will review their favorite RT's and recap their thoughts, right next to yours. No penalty for folks w/ repeats, rephrasings, or adding more details .. any feedback helps "put a point" on our takeaways.

I, for one, will now be on the lookout for silo straddlers to serve as change agents - seems it will be a key role until we come up with an organizational solution for "silo busting" - !!
Thanks for the recap.
Hi Renee, Thanks for the excellent recap! I was a "lurker" for this session and thought it went superbly with some great ideas on how to work with this issue. I especially like the idea of working with the "converted/champions" and use them to instil more interest.

I have one comment, on your last point, do you mean training seminar to teach about Social Media? My experience has been that people are afraid of what they don't know. The resistance comes from lack of knowledge of what it is so the “old ways of doing things” or “the way we have always done then” seem best. At my workplace, I have been running 2 hour introductory seminars of different SM tools (for knowledge sharing) such as blogs, microblogs, wikis and social bookmarking. Each session is attended by at least 14 people of whom maybe 1 or 2 really take the tool on. The others are just happy to have had the opportunity to learn more about it and "think" about if and how it could be applicable to their work environment - as one size does not fit all! Some actually come out realising that it is not rocket science and also thinking of various ways in which they could use the tool for work or simply personal use.

If you meant some other type of training, I would like to know which ones and why. Thanks!
Yes, we were talking about holding social media training sessions. The consensus in the group was that it's better to simply get people doing SM rather than holding official training sessions. The idea was it's better to do than just to learn, but it sounds like you are doing both. Your approach sounds incredibly valuable and I bet you'll start seeing a network effect as those who come out of the training adopt the tools and start talking to and collaborating with each other.

thanks!
:) renee
Thanks Renee for the clarification. I think a mix of the two works best in my experience. For some of us, the social tools are easy to experiment and learn. For others, we may sometimes make our case easy by holding hands and making their experience a tick easier. I, however, agree also that we need to sometimes just get on with it and "do it!"

You are so correct: we are seeing extremely positive effects of both of these approaches! It's like someone once told me.. "start small wild fires here and there, and before you know it.. it will become big and uncontrollable"
I'm doing a lot of work with educators who are exploring the use of SM in their teaching and other educational activities. I'm finding the a lot of people are familiar with SM and may even be using various tools a little bit... but often they are looking for clear strategies and examples of use for education. They definitely like the idea of doing some hands on training in how to use the techs and then really want to begin applying. It's a bit of a chicken/egg experience tho as they need to know what the technologies do and how to use them, but I also want them to keep their goals and objectives as the driving force and not just use the technology because it exists. The goals and objectives should drive their use of the technology, not the other way around. So I think a combination of hands on training and play is good to give them a sense of possibility, and then refocusing on strategies and examples to keep their goals in the lead.
I came across this quote today on Twitter and thought it really captured something important about collaboration. Here's what I tweeted:

Where true collaboration happens RT @brilliantvideo: "Out beyond ideas of right and wrong, there is a field. Meet me there." - Rumi

thanks,
:) renee
Wow, this one makes you stop and think. Just RT'd it. Started to make a joke about trying to mapquest the field, but then said .. no, this one needs some white space around it.

Thanks for sharing.

(and let me know when you have it on mapquest !!).

Chris (@SourcePOV)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Remy Arteaga.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

"